Best Aromatherapy Products for Hay Fever
Allergic rhinitis, more commonly known as hay fever, can be triggered by pollen from various plants. Airborne allergens trigger this allergic reaction, wherein the body releases histamines that cause the sinus and nasal passages to inflame.
Symptoms of hay fever include clogged sinuses, a runny nose, and itchy watery eyes. It can be a debilitating time, but fortunately, there are aromatherapy products that do offer relief. Aromatherapy products in many cases can also provide safer relief from the symptoms of hay fever.
Actually, many rates the use of aromatherapy products and the use of essential oils as their most effective hayfever remedy. Essential oils can reduce swelling and inflammation because they are a type of natural antihistamine. Your body quickly absorbs them, and these aromatherapy products generally have no side effects and it is worthy to note that the use of therapeutic grade quality and unadulterated aromatherapy products to be a consideration.
To help those who are new to the use of aromatherapy products as they relate to “hayfever”, provided is a list of the more commonly preferred essential oils (a.k.a.) “aromatherapy oils” for hayfever:
1. Roman Chamomile – This eases inflammation, relieves headaches, and helps induce relaxation as well. But perhaps, the best way to use this aromatherapy product is to use it months before you get hay fever. Chamomile comes from the same family that can trigger hay fever. But the thing is that chamomile-based aromatherapy products can boost your immunity from hay fever and lessen your body’s allergic reaction.
2. Peppermint – Peppermint oil is an aromatherapy product that can instantly unclog your sinuses and provide you with relief from a scratchy throat. Among the best aromatherapy products that you can invest in is a diffuser. Inhaling diffused peppermint oil can help relieve not only hay fever but also colds, asthma, sinusitis, coughs, and bronchitis. Peppermint oil can reduce inflammation and discharge phlegm. Peppermint also has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
3. Eucalyptus oil – This essential oil improves circulation and provides relief from the symptoms of allergies by opening up the lungs and sinuses. It has anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects and helps the body detoxify. Upper respiratory tract infections can be treated with aromatherapy products that contain eucalyptus oil. Eucalyptus oil is used in various aromatherapy products, but for the treatment of hay fever, it may be best to go for a diffuser blend that has eucalyptus in it. Eucalyptol (one of the naturally forming chemicals in Eucalyptus Essential Oil) has been shown to have both anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
4. Lavender – This is perhaps one of the aromatherapy products that you have at home, or maybe one that you have considered buying at some point. Lavender provides relief from both respiratory and skin allergies. Once you start feeling hay fever sets in, rub a few drops between your palms, smell them, and take deep breaths. There are roll-on aromatherapy products that contain lavender, which will be easy for you to bring along and use during the hay fever season. Lavender is also very effective to help relieve itching, whether it’s from hayfever or insect bites. It is also an excellent mosquito repellent.
5. Lemon – Lemon essential oil can help you overcome respiratory ailments, and it can also improve your lymphatic system drainage. Aromatherapy products that contain lemon oil boost the immune system and inhibit the growth of bacteria.
These essential oils can also be blended with a cream or lotion base so that you will be getting the benefits of both a moisturizer aromatherapy product and hay fever treatment. But don’t try to make your own aromatherapy product. It is more often, a better choice to consider those which are blended by aromatherapy product suppliers found to be certified in aromatherapy. It’s much easier too! You can choose the exact aromatherapy product that provides the essential oils that you need and knows the blended aromatherapy product has been tested. And on top of that, you don’t have a lot of essential oils leftover.
Some aromatherapy products and essential oils a.k.a. “aromatherapy oils”, that you can choose from are mists, roll-ons, shower gels, bath salts, and massage products.
When buying aromatherapy products, purchase them from a shop that has experienced practitioners of aromatherapy so that you can be sure that you’re choosing the right oil or application method for your ailment.